Pages

Monday, December 20

forced segues

This is true:  We have a neighbor.  Named Rafael.  Who is an architect.

Weird, right? 

Anyway, Rafael routinely refers to architecture as "architorture".  Thinking of architorture reminds me of how Raphael just recently finished all his final projects and exams, and how, while he was doing all this, I had to replace him with spiced brandy wine.*  And speaking of spiced brandy wine, Charity has recently requested the recipe.  Presumably to replace her husband who I believe is still out of town. So here it is.

Spiced Brandy Wine
(Recipe from Martha Stewart Living October 2010)

Makes 4
1 bottle (750 mL) light-bodied red wine (such as Beaujolais) (In Tucson, I have reliably found Beaujolais at both Trader Joe's and World Market, but so far, nowhere else.)
3 ounces brandy
1/2 cup sugar
6 whole cloves
4 strips lemon zest (3 inches each)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise

Bring all ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan, covered, over high heat.

Remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve (or just make your peace with picking cloves out of your teeth, like I do). Ladle into four mugs.  (Or one really giant mug.)

* I'm kidding, Mom!  I didn't really replace Raphael with alcohol!  Technically, I don't think it can be done, anyway.

1 comment:

Charity said...

Thank you! Now I just need to buy one big mug...