Pages

Saturday, October 2

chutneylicious

Now that mango season has passed us by, here's that recipe I promised you for:

The Mango Chutney

2 1/2 cups diced mangos
1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
crushed red pepper to taste - I probably add about half a teaspoon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
Freshly ground black pepper
garam masala - I add maybe 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon

Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 25 minutes, stirring often to keep from sticking. Let cool, and store in an airtight container.

I think this chutney is good on everything.  Grilled chicken or tofu, hot dogs, turkey sandwiches.  It'd probably be great as part of a cheese plate too, although I haven't subjected my friends to that particular experiment yet.

And, bonus! - here's a link for some delicious sweet potato cakes with a pineapple mango chutney that Raphael refers.

No comments: